If you would like a folder and all its ancestors to have permission changes do the following:
- Cmd+i on the folder
- Click the lock at the very bottom and authenticate
- Change the permissions how you want them
- Click the preferences “navigation wheel” button and select “Apply to enclosed items”
To unlock a file:
- Copy “sudo chflags nouchg ” (with the space) into Terminal. Don’t hit enter.
- Drag the file that needs to be unlocked into Terminal and it’s absolute link should be appear where your cursor was.
- Hit enter. You may need to authenticate.
To unlock a folder and everything beneath it, use “sudo chflags -R nouchg ” in step 1.